Archibald Stuart Ralph

Archibald Stuart Ralph

Archibald Stuart Ralph moved to Orange County in 1912 from Michigan. At the start of World War 1, he organized the 76th Company of the California Military Reserve and commissioned into the United States Army, rising to the rank of Major.

After the war, he returned to Tustin and purchased 40 acres of land on Irvine Blvd from his friend James Irvine. He planted citrus trees, built stables and developed the property into an income producing property. At the same time, he started the A.S. Ralph Automobile Insurance Company, which became part of the Automobile Club of Southern California.

In 1929, he built a beautiful Spanish Colonial Revival House on Irvine Blvd. for his second wife, Louise. She was very prominent in horse show circles and they employed a full-time horse trainer/groom for their 9 stables located on the property. Mr. Ralph closed his insurance business office in Santa Ana in 1930 and continued to run the business from his home until he passed away in 1937.

Louise Ralph maintained the 40-acre property until 1962, when she sold the property to a developer to build a housing tract. The original house still stands today as part of the La Jolla Business Plaza (on Irvine Blvd, just east of the Tustin Heights Shopping Center which includes Smart & Final and Trader Joes).