HANSEL AND GRETEL COTTAGE, another name for Tudor Revival
architecture, suits this home on Third Street with its stucco-clad
chimney, steep pitch roof and entrance courtyard.
California bungalow and Tudor Revival were
popular architectural styles in the 1920s. Few Tudor Revival houses,
sometimes referred to as English or Hansel and Gretel cottages, were built
in Tustin although California bungalows are found on almost every street.
When Thirtieth Street Architects, Inc. did a
historical survey of Tustin in 1990, they classified the small cottage at
329 Third St. as a Tudor Revival, although other sources identify it as a
French/Norman Revival style. Regardless, its steeply pitched roof with a
gabled wing in front, and stucco-clad chimney are rare in Tustin.
Virgil Deaver built the house in 1922 using
one of five lots originally owned by Sarah Eddy, widow of Samuel Eddy who
had a blacksmith shop on the southwest corner of B and Third in the
R. L. Eddy inherited the lots in 1921, sold
the property to Charles Artz, owner of the Tustin Mercantile Co., who deeded
it to Charles Conant, a First National Bank of Tustin employee. O. T.
Johnson, the next owner, sold lots 9 and 10 to Deaver in 1921.
Max Holmes, a bookkeeper for the Tustin Lemon
Association, and his wife Florence first owned the house which has had a
half dozen owners and a number of tenants over the years.
The gated courtyard entrance and multi-paned
French windows on the front facade are original, but alterations including
an updated kitchen and an addition recently completed by Tustin builder,
Scot Lewis, for the present owner, Kara Kosinski, have been made.
The home built in 1925 at 535 Pacific St. for
Neppie and Harrison Malicot, a tree doctor for the San Joaquin Fruit Co., is
an excellent example of the California Bungalow. Owned by the Marple family
from 1903 to 1925, the property was an orange grove when Harry Howard Marple,
son of owners Richard and Edna Marple, extended Pacific from Main Street to
Sixth Street through the middle of the orchard and sold lots.
Sparkling in green paint with rust trim, the
house is a typical California bungalow. Revolting against the fussy, formal
Victorian architecture, these houses were designed with the front door
opening directly into the living room from the front porch.
Transoms and large plate glass windows bring
light and the outdoors into the rooms. Built-in cabinetry, prominent
hearths, wide eaves and low roof lines are other features.
The deep lot has a small bungalow at the rear
and ample space for fruit trees and a kitchen garden. Luther and Susie
Miller, retired ranchers, who purchased the home in 1945 and lived there for
more than 20 years used this space well. Present owners are Maureen Li and
The owners of these two homes were recently
recognized by the Tustin Preservation Conservancy for their efforts in
preserving the history and legacy of Tustinís Historic District.