Written prior to and to promote
the 2010 Tustin Historical Society Home and Garden Promenade
Spanish Colonial Revival style architecture
in the United States can be traced back to three grand hotels built in St.
Augustine, Fla., in the 1880s, copying the style of century-old buildings
remaining from the time of the Spanish rule in the city.
The style spread to New Mexico, Arizona,
Florida, Texas and California, where it was used in the buildings for the
San Diego Exposition in 1915 as well as for the rebuilding of Santa Barbara
in the early 1920s following a disastrous fire. El Capitan Theater, which
was built in Hollywood in 1918, is an excellent example of the architectural
style, which features stucco, arched entries and red clay tile roofs.
The style was popular as Tustin’s residential
area expanded in the 1920s. Pacific Street, which was extended from Main to
Sixth by Harry Marple in 1924, has several outstanding examples of small
homes adapting the Spanish Colonial Revival style.
One of these homes is included on the Tustin
Area Historical Society’s annual Old Town Promenade on Saturday, May 1. The
Santa Ana Improvement Co. built the home for Floyd and Daisy Turner in 1925.
Using a U-shaped design, the single story stucco-clad house has a flat roof
with a shaped parapet. A gabled wing capped by a red clay tile roof extends
from the front facade on the south side.
Turner, a foreman for the Tustin Lemon
Association and later for the Central Lemon Association packing house, and
his wife occupied the house until 1945, when they sold it to Roy and Elsie
Combs, who used it as rental property.
John and Bessie Atchison bought the house in 1946 and lived there until
1949. The next owners were Earl Rowenhorst, assistant superintendent for the
Tustin Water Works, and his wife, Lillian. Present owners are Jerry and
The second Spanish Colonial Revival style
house on the tour is very different in appearance, either by original design
or remodeling. Believed to have been built around 1928, the stucco-clad,
single-story has a flat-roofed parapet facade topped with red clay tile. The
symmetrical front facade has a center entry and porch reached by three
concrete steps. A glass-paned door and side lights are used in place of a
traditional wooden door.
Little is known of the builder or original
owner. J. Roy Teter, a Tustin city councilman from 1950-52, lived in the
house from about 1930 to 1945. Present owner is Andy Durant, who grew up in
the house during the time it was owned by Loren V. Liles. Present tenants
are Michael Baugh and Elli England.
Tickets for the Tustin Area Historical
Society’s annual Old Town Promenade on May 1, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., are
available at the Museum for $20 pre-sale ($25 at the door).
Contact the museum at 714-731-5701 for more
information or go to the Web site at www.tustinhistory.com.