by Juanita Lovret
Reprinted courtesy of the Tustin News
The six Old Town homes designated in Tustin Historical Survey as eligible for
the National Register were built between the mid-1800s and 1928, each reflecting
the architecture of the era.
Judged one of Orange Countyís finest Greek Revivals, the residence at 180 A was
built in 1885 according to the Survey, but some sources place construction later
in the decade. W. W. Martin, prominent Tustin landowner, probably built it, but
Rev. D. I MacHenry lived there from 1890 to 1914, followed by Frank Hawkins,
local blacksmith (1914 to 1927) and May Rose Borum, Tustin High drama teacher
(1939 to 1943).
The house at 302 A, another excellent, but smaller, Greek Revival, is believed
to have been built in 1876 by A. J. Stanley on property purchased from Barbara
Ann Lewis, sister of Columbus Tustin. The next resident, 1884 to 1901, George W.
Hubbard owned the entire block which he planted in oranges. He married Alice
Macomber whose daughter Clara taught at Tustin High School and owned the house
Classified as Victorian Stick, the home at 430 Main was built of redwood in 1887
by George C. Case who purchased the 96í x 333í lot for $1920. Edmond J.
Cranston, founder of First National Bank of Tustin, lived there from 1913 to
1917. After Charles Vance acquired both his interest in the bank and the house,
his family lived there until 1972. Charles Mitchel, Tustin Elementary School
principal then owned it until 1985.
Built in 1886, the Victorian board and batten house at 305 C is one of few in
Orange County. Mary Tustin, wife of Tustinís founder, was first owner. Using
logs and mules, the house was moved to this location around 1900. Tustinís
family owned it until 1943.
Fannie Tustin Platt and Mary Jane Tustin Nicoles may have lived there although
it was a rental in 1930. Ralph Lindsay, Tustin shoe repair shop owner as well as
fire chief for almost 10 years, purchased it in 1945. His family still owns it.
The Edwardian-Colonial Revival house at 200 A dates back to 1907. Builder and
first resident was local carpenter William Lynch Shatto. Martha Shatto, his
third wife, lived there until 1959.
The Monterey Revival at 320 Main completes the list of possible candidate.
Considered an excellent example of this architectural style, the home was built
by Guy Bolard in 1928.
Take a walk and enjoy these beauties.